Edging closer to the start of another New Year, this tweet definitely resonates:
I've recently noticed all of my good ideas come from the following, in ranked order:
1. Reading books
2. Conversations with a handful of A+ people
3. Twitter (yes, really)
4. Long runs
2019 plan is simple: spend more time doing the above, and less time doing everything else.
— Arianna Simpson (@AriannaSimpson) December 29, 2018
For me, options 1 and 3 are all about consumption, whilst 2 and 4 are creative.
The real trick here is to focus on doing the following:
1. Finding (and building relationships with) A+ people.
2. Focus (in both selection and perseverance) when it comes to books – with increased weight given to choosing books that are older, and therefore are more likely to have resonated/persisted with valuable insights that have stood the test of time.
3. Regularly cull your Twitter feed to ensure that you are continually reducing the noise and only following those who make you think.
4. Just more long runs. Simple.